Thursday, February 6, 2014

CVS No Longer Selling Tobacco Products

The article that I have read covers the news on a major corporation, CVS, will no longer sell tobacco products in their stores, nationwide. I believe this article is set up in an inverted pyramid. The lead describes perfectly what the article is about. It tells the reader the gist of the article without having to read the entire page. The second paragraph goes on and talks about CVS and the reason why they want to make the change. These two paragraphs depict the 5 W’s. There isn’t really a chronological order to the story, which an inverted pyramid usually isn’t. The style is very effective because it gets the information quickly to the reader. The story continues on by saying how the company plans to lose $2 billion but it would only be “a mere dent in its overall sales of $123 billion”. As you read more and more into the article, it provides more details that wouldn’t necessarily be extremely important. The article ends with a quote from the chief executive of CVS, Larry J. Merlo, “We came to the decision that cigarettes and providing health care just don’t go together in the same setting”. Leaving the end as a quote is very effective in my opinion, especially having a quote from the chief executive of the company. It shows the company is serious in being more of a health care provider than just another retail store. I really think that CVS did a good job by deciding to remove tobacco products from their stores. I admire them as a company that is willing to turn down a $2 billion profit just for the well-being of their customers. We can’t really say that for a lot of companies these days. It really disgusts me that products like tobacco are even legal. I don’t understand how our government allows such a thing. The fact that they refuse to legalize marijuana baffles me, especially since marijuana is not responsible for a single death. If anything is a gateway drug, it’s definitely cigarettes and anything tobacco related. They are literally the number one cause of death in the US. Marijuana has a 0% death rate. What does that say about our government? I really commend CVS for taking the step that our government neglects to take. I think they are brave in what they are doing, and I would hope more companies’ follow in their footsteps.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment