Sunday, May 11, 2014
Editorals/Columns
An article that I read was titled, "The Rise of Antibiotic Resistance" by the editorial board of the New York Times. The article itself was very well written and kept me interested as I read it. The article discusses the daunting truth that antibiotics are being less effective because viruses and germs are becoming more resistant to them. This is a scary truth and I really liked how they brought up such a serious issue. This was a great editorial because it got straight to the point. They clearly stated each and every single one of their points and kept me engaged as I was reading the article. And like any editorial it tries to bring a solution to the problem at hand. They discuss the fact that hospitals and pharmacist need to develop new drugs as the fact that the last antibiotic was discovered in 1987. The article even discusses the possibility, if no new medicine is discovered, that this could be the end of the world as we know it. The common cold could be the next serial killer and you know you're next when you have a running nose. They are really behind. I think this topic is pretty interesting because it affects our everyday lives. I don't want to be scared of getting the flu or a cold. I want to be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll wake up the next morning. I also think it's interesting that it is happening all over the world. People are actually dying from common illnesses and even carbapenem, a drug that is used as a last resort failed to work for hundreds if not thousands of patients. It's pretty scary to think that I had no idea about this until I read the article. It truly helped to open my eyes to treat myself better and try my best not to get sick. I really think people should be more aware of the problem and that more people should know about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment